Chris Mercier (1951), artist and printmaker lives and works in Reading, Berkshire (UK). He studied at Berkshire College of Art and Epsom College of Art. He then moved to Italy where he studied violin making in Cremona before working as a craftsman in Venice. On his return to the UK he has practiced as an artist and printmaker for many years and has also collaborated with many artists in the role of master printer in print and editioning studios.
He studied Fine Art at The University of Reading and completed an MA in Fine Art printmaking at the Royal College of Art, London.
He runs his own art editioning studio making multiples for artists. He is a member of the RGA, arjeea21 and the Printmakers Council.
I describe myself as an artist and printmaker. I frequently use printing processes as a tool for creating art work. The difference I see between an 'artist-printmaker' and the 'printer' is that the printmaker takes an idea, a thought to the printing machine; whereas the printer may only be concerned in reproducing previously created art works. So I see the print process as just another component in the tool-box of the artist. However I consider thought as the essential instigator of my art.
I am intrigued by the device of metonymy used in visual imagery. Add to that the viral image and the virtual image, both companions to the digital age and to the internet.
I am very interested in the way a work can exist on two planes, the real and the virtual, existing perhaps in a dormant mode until the virtual unfolds replicates and performs.
My recent work has focused on the frontier between analogue and digital technologies, an "in between" place. I have previously described this as "a zone to be explored where print as an artist"s medium can falter or be reborn as it comes up against the digital vehicles of dispersion".
Currently I am making work that explores process and the repertoires of objects and their articulation through motion and time.
- June 2013 – In-Print-Out Print Triennale, Künstlerhaus, Vienna, Austria.
- April 2013 – Casual Ties> Portfolio Launch, TinType Gallery, London.
- March 2013 – PhotoGraphics Printmakers Council, Great Western Studios, London.
- March 2013 – RCA Secret Postcard Exhibition, Battersea, London.
- February 2013 – Hot off The Press 2013 Curwen Gallery, London.
- December 2012 – RGA & arjeea21 Christmas print sale, Reading Museum.
- November 2012 – Face to Face, Peacock Gallery, Reading.
- October 2012 – Multiplied 2012 RCA Graduates, Christie's, London.
- September 2012 – Works on Paper The Printmakers Council at R.K. Burt Gallery, London
- September 2012 – Reincarnation London Design Festival, venue: London Print Studio, London
- June 2012 – Royal College of Art Degree Show Battersea London.
- June 2012 – 'Shorts' RCA Short film Festival.
- March 2012 – Lost for Words Printmakers Council – The Street Gallery UCLH Arts London.
- March 2012 – Cafe Gallery Show The Second Exhibition Royal College of Art Printmaking Show
- May 2011 – Interim WIP show Royal College of Art, Kensington, London.
- May 2011 – This Time – Arjeea21 show in St Andrews Church, Caversham. Reading
- April 2011 – Café Gallery Show First Exhibition Royal College of Art Printmaking Show
- October 2010 – Parcel Fever, Nuit Blanche (W.A.F.) OpenHand Gallery, Reading.
- September 2010 – Out of Print Printmakers Council show South Hill Park, Bracknell.
- July 2010 – Reading Arts Week – New Directions, Forbury & Reading Museum.
- July 2010 – Consequences RCA printmaking, group show at The Parfitt Gallery, Croydon.
- June 2010 – Dream Ticket The Retreat, Reading.
- June 2010 – Please Touch CoExist Galleries, Southend on Sea.
- April 2010 - " Room to Manoeuvre Open hand-Open space, Arjeea21
- March 2010 – Café Gallery Show Anything I Can Do You Can Do Better Royal College of Art & CGL Southwark Park London.
- Jan - March 2010 – Reading Guild of Artists 80th annual Exhibition, Town Hall Reading.
- Jan 2010 Working Drawings Exhibition – The Peacock Gallery
- Nov 2009 – Man Photography Prize Exhibition (RCA)
- Oct 2009 – RCA Secret Postcard Exhibition
- Oct 2009 – University of Reading Open Day Art Exhibition.
- Sept 2009 - Printmakers Council Show at Impact 2009, Bristol.
- Sept 2009 – Art in Science Exhibition, Department of Physics, University of Reading.
- June 2009 – Final BA Show at the Fine Art Dept.,University of Reading.
- June 2009 – Caversham Open Studios, Reading.
- July 2008 – Allotment, Arjeea21 show at The Marksman Gallery Reading.
- June 2008 – RGA Corridor Exhibition at Royal Berks Hospital.
- June 2008 – Caversham Open Studios Reading.